Most Popular Italian Pizzas
When we talk about Italian cuisines, we are surely talking about pizza. Majority of people are thinking of pizza when they want to get out for having Italian dinner. Though many countries have their own national dishes, but only some of them become an all time favorite. There are two popular dishes in Italy, pizza and pasta.
Actually pizza didn’t started in Italy, it started in the Middle East where flat bread pieces were used to hold toppings and eaten without any tableware or plates. The Greeks called it pizza at first, and it was used as an edible plate basically while eating thick broth or stew. It was not yet something that we would name pizza today. There are various popular varieties of pizza in Italy, but the Margherita pizza have made the standard.
Most popular Italian Pizzas
1. Margherita: This type of pizza was first prepared in 1899 when Queen Marghereta came to Napels to escape a cholera epidemic in northern Italy. The ingredients used to make this pizza are, mozzarella cheese, basil and tomato, imitate the Italian flag colors.
2. Pizza Marinara: It is a traditional Neapolitan pizza that has lots of garlic, anchovies and oregano.
3. Pizza Alla Napoletana: This pizza is based on anchovies, mozzarella and tomatoes
4. Pizza Capricciosa: It is a pizza with topping of prosciutto, artichoke hearts, olives, boiled egg and mushrooms.
5. Pizza Pugliese: This pizza makes use of local olives and capers. Topped with onions, mozzarella and tomato.
6. Pizza Veronese: This pizza has tender Prosciutto crudo and mushrooms.
7. Pizzas from Sicily: This pizza has various toppings from seafood, hard boiled eggs, peas and green olives.
8. Pizza Ai Quattro Formagi: Four cheese combination with fresh mozzarella and three local cheeses like ricotta, parmigiano reggiano and Goronzola are used in this pizza.
9. Pizza Auattro Stagioni: This pizza is based on tomato and divided in four parts, one of each season, Olives and artichokes;summer, Olives; Spring, tomato and mozzarella ; Autumn and boiled eggs and mushrooms ; winter. This makes a wonderful sampler pizza with sections of muschrooms, tomatoes, artichokes, Prosciutto cotto and salami.
10. Italian tuna: This pizza is packed in olive oil and is well-known topping with other marine products such as shrimp, shellfish and anchovies.